Understand how to install Google analytics in WordPress but before that lets see what are the advantages of installing Google analytics. Google Analytics is a service offered by Google for free to track your website statistics. Reports of services generated by Google Analytics include user behavior, website conversions, website traffic, and so much more.
Additionally, some of the most valuable data provided by Google Analytics include:
• Bounce rate analytics reports
• Number of individual web pages visited by visitors on your website
• Sessions which records number of visitors visiting pages on your website
• User geographical locations, search engines, keywords, traffic channels, and traffic mediums analytics reports.
• Device used by visitors, operating systems, and screen resolutions analytics reports
Before you Install Google Analytics in WordPress
You will need to sign up an account for Google Analytics using your Google Account. This can be done by following the steps below:
Step 1: Create a Google Analytics Account
A Google Account grants you access to all of Google’s service products such as Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Drive, etc. You can sign up for a Google account using this link: http://www.google.com/SignUp. Once done, sign-in to your Gmail account and proceed to create a Google Analytics Account by signing up using this link: http://www.google.com/analytics/sign_up.html
Step 2: Create Your Web Property
On your Google Analytics Account, click on “Admin” link. Proceed by clicking “Create new account” under “Account.” On the Window provided, select the Website tab, and fill in the proper information, that is, your Account Name, your Website Name, Website URL, your Industry Category, and Reporting Time Zone, provided under” Setting up your account.” Typically, leave the Data Sharing Settings checked, and click the “Get Tracking ID” button.
Finally, click on the “I Agree” button to accept the Google Analytics Terms of Service to get your tracking info on the next page, including the Google Analytics tracking code. Copy this code as you will use it later, during the installation process.
Next thing to do is to Install Google Analytics in WordPress
Use these most popular and easiest methods:
1. Insert the Tracking Code Manually
Google recommends that you manually add the Google Analytics Tracking code in the <head> section of every page on your WordPress website. This is done by following the below simple steps.
Step1: Login to your WordPress site and head to the Multisite Dashboard. In the “Appearance” menu, head to “Editor.”
Step 2: Under the list of templates which are located on the right side of the screen, use CTRL + F to find and search a template file titled “header.php.”
Step 3: Look for the <head> tag in the template file named header.PHP, and immediately before it, paste the Google Analytics tracking code. The procedure is finished by clicking the “Update File” button.
2. Using the Google Analytics Plugin
There are more than a hundred WordPress Plugins that are used for Google Analytics. Some of these plugins are straightforward to set up than others, some permit you to track more elements, and some provide analytics reports within your WordPress dashboard. One of the most powerful and easy to use WordPress analytics plugin is the Google Analytics by MonsterInsights plugin. Previously, it was recognized as Yoast Google Analytics.
The plugin can be installed In WordPress site by following these steps:
1.Using your preferred method, upload and activate the Google Analytics by MonsterInsights plugin.
2. Under the new “Analytics” menu, go to the section written “Settings.”
3. Next step is to connect the plugin to your Google Analytics account. This can be accomplished by:
– Clicking the “Authenticate with your Google account” link in your Google Analytics account screen, or
– Checking the “Manually enter your UA code” box.
4. On your Google Analytics account, click “Admin” then “Property Settings.”
5. Copy and paste the code under “Tracking ID into the field in the plugin.
6. Click the “Save Changes” button and you are done!
To confirm that the data in the site is being received and filtered for tracking, refresh the screen in your Google Analytics account. You can click the “Send test traffic” button if no website data is being received. Kindly note that usually, it takes 12-24 hours for the data to populate, and allow Google Analytics to start receiving actual website traffic coming through your WordPress Website.
Let us know if you know any other method to install Google analytics in WordPress in the comments below.